July 19, 2004

Scratches of conversation...

........... as I am working... someone whom i respect a lot comes to me and asks me X : hi what are you doing Me : I am fine *smile* X : So how did you reach home that day Me : Oh I got my vehicle... and also gave a couple of friends a lift .... X : Oh that van of yours.. Me : (with a pained and a DUH expression) .....VAN .. excuse me thats a BOLERO..a jeep... an SUV... (for heaven's sake... this after this person has already seen my Jeep.. GRRRR ... and also drives a vehicle... I can understand if a person is not aware of cars.. but well .. uhhhh.. oh anyways.... whatever...) While driving and giving a few friends a lift..... X : so are you married A : yes I am B : oh you dont look married... Me : Silent Smirk ... Hit is on ..... X : Oh you know Marraige.. I tell you... you should never marry a convent girl.. A : Uh why ? B : (Curious expression) X : Convent girls demand too much, aiyyo .. car, work, etc etc .. you should never marry one. You will be in trouble, I say. Me : Dying to give him a whack !! ( and he did not know to his great fortune that he was being driven and taken home by a convent girl navigating through all the roads which were really bad... HUH.. so much for an opinion...talk about prejudices...) A : GRRRRR !! After sometime.... X : Oh you know I feel it is really difficult for a working woman to manage home A : ( Sympathetically and glad that the topic has changed to much clamer waters) yes it is ... B : another curious expression wondering where the conversation is leading to... Me : Praying for their destination to come faster... before I blurted out any statement that would start a fight.. X : who cooks when you are working A : oh my husband helps me out and we do it together and sometimes he cooks ... sometimes I do... when either of us reach early... Me : Hmmm yeah same here X : Oh my God !! I would never dream of doing that.. you know my wife is working and I have a kid.. I cant take it.. you know.. her coming late and who will look after the kid.. I want her to quit job you know... aiiyoo it is too much... Girls should not work.. blah blah blah... and more blah.... and all because I dont want to help her you know... why should I ? I am not like the husbands who want to help wives.. what is that ? maybe because of that I feel like that no. Enna Sir ?? ( AH HA you said it...) A : Dumbfounded B : Getting the drift wisely keeping silent.... Me : Praying for divine intervention clutching my steering wheels and concentrating on letting them down at the nearest possible stop. Stopped the car but the blah blah went on .. till I very sweetly that I have to go a different way and they needed to get down.. and it was nice to know them ( GNASSHHHHH... GRRR...) And I rush off before I could get any more disgusted... put on some Jazz to calm my frayed nerves.. and carry on .... A : Still dumbfounded.. and regretting she ever opened her mouth... but royally pissed End of a hectic day made more hectic by prejudiced observation which can make even a non femininist's skin crawl.. and believe me I am a moderate feminist.. nothing great and I usually dont believe in the burning the bra lot but this conversation makes me realise that we sometimes need extreme gender lessons or stay rooted to that place where they were taught the such basic lessons of life... Huh now that is out of me.. I can relax... LOLOL Finally finally finally .. I removed the Google ad tag... from my template... Yeaaaaaaa !! Thanks to Gautam's and Ishtiaque's help.... Been trying to remove the ad for sometime with no clue as to how to go about it ... SIGH !!!