July 29, 2004

Values Lost...values found...

The Miller of the Dee by Charles Mackay There dwelt a miller, hale and bold, Beside the river Dee; He worked and sang from morn till night - No lark more blithe than he; And this the burden of his song Forever used to be:"I envy nobody - no, not I -And nobody envies me!" "Thou'rt wrong, my friend," said good King Hal, "As wrong as wrong can be; For could my heart be light as thine, I'd gladly change with thee. And tell me now, what makes thee sing, With voice so loud and free, While I am sad, though I am king,Beside the river Dee?" The miller smiled and doffed his cap, "I earn my bread," quoth he; "I love my wife, I love my friend, I love my children three; I owe no penny I can not pay,I thank the river Dee, That turns the mill that grinds the corn That feeds my babes and me." "Good friend," said Hall, and sighed the while, "Farewell, and happy be; But say no more, if thou'dst be true, That no one envies thee; Thy mealy cap is worth my crown, Thy mill my kingdom's fee; Such men as thou are England's boast, O miller of the Dee! Brought to you my Antelope Publishing As I was starting my work day today.. I get a message from my bro asking me whether I remembered the Miller of the Dee poem. He was telling me that this poem was the key to happiness and how right he was.. As I read this known poem again, immediately there was this flashback where I was memorizing the poem beacause my teacher would be giving us a test on this... and now as I went through the poem again, I was thinking to myself how easy it is to forget the basic necessities of life. We are all geared to run, run and run some more and the achievements are never over. Today if there is one river Dee there are ten millers who are willing to compete with each other for the corn and not pausing to thing that the river is drying up and the millers need to nourish the river too.. and the song would go There dwelt ten millers, hale and bold, Beside the river Dee; They worked and sang from morn till night - No lark more blithe than them; And this the burden of their song Forever would be:"we envy no other - no, we dont -But everybody should envy me!" .... Return back to our values... not lose them even as we are zipping by the fast paced life... sometimes we can put on the brake and go back to why we started running in the first place... In pursuing the HOW are we losing out the WHY...