November 30, 2004

Eagle when I fly

I was going through heylady's blog about a poem that she had written and instantly I was reminded of this song .. one of my favorite country numbers by Dolly Parton.. Eagle When She Flies (Dolly Parton) She's been there, God knows, she's been there She has seen and done it all She's a woman, she know how to Dish it out or take it all Her heart's as soft as feathers Still she weathers stormy skies And she's a sparrow when she's broken But she's an eagle when she flies A kaleidoscope of colors You can toss her around and round You can keep her in you vision But you'll never keep her down She's a lover, she's a mother She's a friend and she's a wife And she's a sparrow when she's broken But she's an eagle when she flies Gentle as the sweet magnolia Strong as steel, her faith and pride She's an everlasting shoulder She's the leaning post of life She hurts deep and when she weeps She's just as fragile as a child And she's a sparrow when she's broken But she's an eagle when she flies She's a sparrow when she's broken But she's an eagle when she flies Oh, bless her, Lord She's an eagle when she flies Woman ... the very essence of which is described so beautifully by this song.. I find that I can relate to this song and can almost picture myself there ... as if the song is about me... how easy it is to just give up and be a woman.. how easy it is to not give up just because you are a woman... Culture tradition all nonwithstanding... each time a sparrow never fails to change to an eagle when she flies.... Whether it is the housewife who manages the house and family or the high profile corporate ... the strengths and the weaknesses are interchanged but the common aspect that makes up the personality of a woman remains the same and today it seems that a woman can handle either of the extremes... but she also would like to live in the grayer aspect of life ... strike a balance... find that spirit which complements her weakness and enhances her strength... Today I might be a sparrow when I am broken but I know that I am an eagle when I fly...