March 31, 2005
March 29, 2005
- Great roads... uninterrupted highway..
- Observed some giant trucks and tractors never seen in Karnataka..
- Moon rising by the ghats...
- 2 Hour boat ride in Periyar... as smooth as a lullaby...
- Tamil Nadu is grilling hot
- Dindigul sports the best biryani joint I have ever had till date....
- Off roading... had my heart in my hands...
- Nothing quenches thrist like fresh sweet sugarcane juice...
- Crushed date palm juice is YUCK... i mistook it for lemon juice.. it tasted like country liquor..
- Monkeys can be a curious lot.. specially one who almost lost his hide while entering the bar through the window sill.. have the shots to prove it..
- Donkeys can be really cute... they redefine the meaning of Beasts of Burden...
- Morning rides are the best...
- Achieved the impossible... beat the traffic at HOSUR road...
March 24, 2005
March 21, 2005
March 18, 2005
March 15, 2005
Red is supposedly the first color percieved by Man. Brain-injured persons suffering from temporary color-blindness start to perceive red before they are able to discern any other colors. Neolithic hunter peoples considered red to be the most important color endowed with life-giving powers and thus placed red ochre into graves of their deceased. This explains funds of skeletons embedded in up to 10 kg of red powdered ochre. Neolithic cave painters ascribed magic powers to the color red. The word "magic" ("Zauber" in German) translates to "taufr" in Old Norse and is related to the Anglo-Saxon "teafor" meaning "red ochre". It can be stipulated that they painted animals in red ochre or iron oxide to conjure their fertility. Protective powers of the color red against evil influence were common belief. Objects, animals and trees were covered in red paint, warriors painted their axes and spear-catapults red to endow the weapons with magic powers. Some of the Australian aborigines abide by this custom up to the present times. Neolithic hunters and germanic warriors used to paint their weapons and even themselves in blood of slain animals. Roman gladiators drank blood of their dying adversaries to take over their strength. In other cultures, the newly born were bathed in blood of particularly strong and good looking animals.Red painted amulettes or red gems, such as ruby or garnet, were used as charms against the "evil eye". Wearing a red ruby was supposed to bring about invincibility. Red bed-clothes were customary in Germany up to the Middle Ages as protection against the "red illnesses", such as fever, rashes or even miscarriages
March 14, 2005
March 10, 2005
We have always heard this adage of old being gold. .. what do you do with the OLD ?
- I have seen my dad lovingly clingling to old clothes which were so comfortable... inspite of mama getting him new stuff.. ( today the old clothes have been given away.. to someone who will have better use for it )
- His first flowers which he planted were tended to most lovingly... every morning... ( today the flowers have been razed to the ground by the new owner of our old home)
- Mama keeping her old tea set lovingly... her old sarees which was almost torn right behind the closet never mind if it was right at one corner but it was there for her to go back to... when she wanted... ( today she only has the teacup which she still uses it.. rest have been lost or broken as time passed on)
- An old engagement ring which she parted with real heavy heart to me... she wanted it for the memory but I wanted it because it was the only link I could have with her when I left home... she gave it to me anyways.. since she knew how important it was to me... to have her with me... ( today it serves me well and I am planning to give it back to her... I know she will be a happy mama )
- So easy to burn those old love letters and photographs just so I could erase the memories of how I stepped into being a wise woman... and trying to understand the confused emotion of love which I usually chaffed at but which bit me anyways... ( today this has helped me in not making the same mistake again.. )
- Dolls which kept me company .. with tiny dresses stacked neatly together for me to go back to and jump back into my childhood ... ( today they adorn my shelf back at my parents home longing for attention I am sure)
- Comics... Amar Chitra Katha, Marvel, Archies, Diamond, comics which brightened my days and gave me lot of wisdom, humor, the meaning of a hero... and what a hero should have been ... stories which I would not have otherwise learnt ... so easily... ( today they are with someone else who I hope will love reading them .. )
- Old black and white photographs... when photography was a developing art and science.. ( today they adorn old forgotten walls... yellowing with age .. and then getting colored )
- Old friends with whom we created personal history.. old relatives with whom we shared family history ( today it all depends on whether anyone has the "bandwidth" or the "usage" of a "friend")
- Old jewellery items which were the fashion statement of the year.. ( today it is junk jewellery or punk jewellery )
- Old theatres which would give a nostalgic feeling when watching a movie.. ( today it is being giving in to hi tech shopping malls which are more lucrative.. business)
- Old houses with sprawling lawns ... ( today you will see a state of the art building housing expensive flats... forget the lawn.. who needs it ?? )
All that remains is memories... just memories... Is it that easy to let go ???? Or are we rushing in to some vague destination without any strategy or environmental sense ???
Some PHOTOS for you here... I worked on the template tooo... yipeeeee...
Also worked on my travellogs blog template... he ha !! I think I am addicted to this !!
March 09, 2005
- at the fact that my taggie died... yet again... back to my old taggie I suppose...
- by the fact that I am not able to view HALOSCAN commenting system from my PC.. is it something to do with Websense or something.... EGAD help me... sorry my blogger friends for not being able to comment but I am reading your blogs ... and leaving comments on the tag.. till I figure out where the problem is ... Sorry Candy, Fairy, Blues, Ashi, Shub, and all the writers who make my day !! I hope to figure this silly problem soon...
- at my long 70 mm dreams of which I cannot make sense of... can be a pain... I was walking through a shopping street last night and the lane was never ending and I did not buy a thing !!! ... DUH figure that out !!!